Hey everyone! Today I'm sharing with you a tutorial on faux calligraphy. Faux calligraphy is when you take a mono weight pen (like a normal pen, pencil, sharpie, etc.) and add in the downstrokes afterwards.
Faux calligraphy is what I started off doing when I first stepped into the handlettering world. I used pencils, Faber Castell markers, and Micron markers. Basically anything besides brush tips will work!
Some quick tips:
- Every time the pen comes downwards you will make a thicker downstroke.
- If it helps, you can make arrows to visualize what direction your pen was going in.
- You never want two downstrokes to intersect.
- In the video I show my solution for letters "x" and "k"
- Just practice, practice, practice! This is the only way you will learn and improve on your skills!
- Know that if you are starting with faux calligraphy, it will help when it comes times to use a brush marker and have to apply pressure for the downstrokes.
Until next time,